I feel lucky with the workshop as I had one planned not long ago and I only had to adapt it to my research project. It will happen on 3oth July at Stamford Arts Centre where I attend the life drawing class since last year.
The organisers (Welland Valley Art Society) gave me a freedom to transform the structure of this workshop into more experimental and multidisciplinary activity which will combine drawing/painting, photographic techniques and elements of performance - all focusing on the subject of body, objects and materials.
Low fidelity schedule:
- The stage will be created in the middle of the studio where the model will interact with objects/materials - the subject of my research project.
- The participants will be asked to focus on the composition (rather than the details of the body or props) and arrange the elements on the paper/canvas in a way they would crop the photograph. I will bring some cameras and viewfinders to help frame the composition.
- I will try to initiate the conversation about the influence of optical devices - the predecessors of photography, and photography itself on art ( I am going to mention the David Hockney's 'Secret knowledge' documentary)
- I will demonstrate the camera lucida functionality
- Camera obscura will be created in the studio during the lunch time break
I already started to explore the visual potential of the direct presence of the body in relation to objects/materials on my photographs. I am hoping that this workshop will bring a lot of new ideas and interesting records to analyse.