I don’t know where to start really - there was a lot of failures…But are they really failures? Perhaps they are but it was necessary to let them happen to get where I am today so perhaps it is better to think about them as a byproducts of a journey. Very long and exciting journey with periods of extreme excitement and total despair. Five moths of looking for something unimaginable from the point of departure, which began to reveal itself slowly only month ago or so.
The biggest “failure” was to stick for too long to some methods which were not very promising or it was very unclear how they may be incorporated to the whole concept of the project. The most spectacular example is the wet transfer from the acetate sheet onto paper which I came across by accident and found very interesting conceptually and visually. I liked the way the printed photograph change the form when submerged in water and then pressed onto paper. The watercolour qualities of the photographic records printed onto the paper this way were really seducing and I spent weeks on trying to make it spectacular, beautiful, significant…But it was very tricky to make it work and the acceptable effects were consuming a lot of time, paper, ink and patience.
Planning photobook as one of the primary means of dissemination and in the end not making it is perhaps a bigger failure. I underestimated the effort involved in producing a printed publication. I don’t want it to look like a quick mockup printed with Blurb so its better to focus on the exhibition and make it right.
I didn’t manage to produce any moving images which I’d be happy with. I created a lot of screen recording videos based on the algorithmic animations. They’re very attractive visually but there isn’t enough thought and intention involved there…